Roulette has been around for a long time, and is one of the most popular casino games in the world. The name, as many people will know, comes from the French term for “little wheel” and during a roulette game players place bets on either numbers on the roulette wheel, the possibility of odd or even numbers or even on a range of different numbers. The wheel is then spun and the ball moves around eventually landing on one of the spots at which point money is either won or lost.
Roulette was first created in the 1700s and originated in France – hence the French name for the game. It’s said to be a combination of several other games including Reiner, Ace of Hearts, Roly-Poly, and EO. The game of roulette, as we know it today, has been played since 1796.
Prior to the advent of modern computers and online gaming of course, “live roulette” was literally the only game in town. Since the dawn of online casinos, standard online roulette generally involves the use of a computer interface resembling a video game.
With the live online roulette option however, roulette games involve interaction with real-life operators and croupiers. Players simply use the computer interface to place bets but the spin of the wheel itself takes place with a real-life roulette wheel.
5 Differences Between Online Roulette and Live Online Roulette
There are a number of crucial differences between playing online roulette for money in the standard software driven variation and going for full live online roulette. Let’s run through a few of the more obvious ones.
- 1. User Experience: Playing in a real casino can be quite a bit different from playing on a desktop computer or other device. With a live online roulette game, the operator is right in front of the players and they can ask for assistance if there is anything they are unsure about. With a regular online casino game it can often be difficult to find guidance as there is no operator to talk to, simply a computer algorithm crunching the numbers. Many gamblers find it more relaxing and easier to focus when interacting with a real croupier online.
- 2. Betting limits: Since it can cost quite a bit more to operate a real-life casino, the betting limits might be higher in any live game regardless of whether it’s online or face-to-face. However, since the introduction of online gambling can boost the amount of players accessing casino games, they can often enjoy cheaper live games.
- 3. Bonuses: Live online games often benefit from the fact that they’re not faced with the same costs as brick-and-mortar casinos but are equally desperate to compete for loyal players and retain them. That’s why the majority of live roulette games will offer enticements such as deposit bonuses, sign-up offers and free spins bonuses.
- 4. Seat availability: As with regular casinos, live online games require someone to operate them. With a real person involved, casinos can only run so many games of roulette at once, whether or not people are playing from their computers or in person. It might be more difficult to find a seat with live online game compared to a regular online game. Plus there’s the extra effort involved in actually getting to a casino to consider.
- 5. Reliability: If you are playing alone against the computer via internet and you come across a problem, who is there to help you? While reliable online casinos monitor their games regularly, they won’t always offer the instant, person-to-person service that a live online roulette game typically has. The majority of live games are also run by offline casinos and are heavily regulated so you have less chance of being taken advantage of.
Choosing a Live Online Roulette Game: 5 Things to Look For
Once you’ve decided to give live online roulette a whirl, there are a number of factors you should be on the lookout for to get the most out of the experience. Here are five crucial factors:
- 1. Minimum bets: Some people are high-rollers with plenty of money and experience with gambling. For them, the subject of minimum bets will be an irrelevance. For the uninitiated however, it is wise to find a live online roulette game that offers low minimum bets to begin with. You don’t want to start out spending $100 per game, only to find that you’ve emptied your bank account in the course of learning how to play. As mentioned above, it costs a lot more to operate a live online roulette game than it does to run a regular online game. There is a higher cost involved with camera equipment, special filming areas, software, computer systems, and extra staff members. This might make it difficult to find a live online roulette game with low minimum bets but they do exist.
- 2. Operators: Commonly referred to as “dealers” or croupiers in casino games, these are the people who will run the roulette game for the players. It helps to frequent an online game that has operators who you not only trust but enjoy playing with.
- 3. Other players: Along with finding operators who you are happy to play with, it’s wise to find an online roulette game that is also frequented by agreeable players. You don’t want your gambling fun to be ruined by ill-mannered or difficult playing companions. While it is tricky to know who exactly is playing with you, it’s usually a good idea to leave a game if you feel uncomfortable due to the interactions of other players. If you are the type of person who dislikes social situations, live online roulette will probably still be preferable to the social stress of going to a real casino. It puts a barrier between yourself and other gamblers and may make it easier for those with social anxiety to concentrate..
- 4. Free play: Many online roulette games offer players free access with no money involved. While you might not find a live online roulette game with free play, you can test out your skills and become familiar with roulette by playing a regular online roulette game which offers free play. It’s a great way to learn the ropes without the worry of losing any real money.
- 5. Videos: Watching videos of real, live roulette session being played is one of the best ways to get a feel for what playing the game is like. Not only can you observe how the game works – and what you can expect from operators – but you can glean some tips by watching successful players do their thing. Observing the roulette wheel in motion, and seeing how well the different betting methods work, is one of the best techniques for becoming a good roulette player. Check out the video at the bottom of this page for an example of this.
Who Should Choose Live Online Roulette?
Have you ever had the opportunity to play live roulette in an actual casino? It’s not necessarily an option open to all. Some people simply live too far away from the nearest casino and will never get a chance to enjoy the game in person.
Playing on a regular computer game of roulette does an increasingly good job of simulating the genuine thrills, wins and losses that live roulette involves but it doesn’t quite match the thrill of having a live wheel in play.
If you want to experience a real game of roulette – but aren’t able to do so in person – live online roulette is the perfect solution. Playing with a real operator who is located in a real casino environment can bring the joy of live roulette right to your computer screen in a much more engaging way.
Live online roulette also offers a social aspect which can only be experienced by playing with a real operator and real people. If you are the type who thrives on human company, and you like watching other people play, this is the ideal way for you to play roulette online.
Tips and Tricks for Live Online Roulette
Once you have decided to dive into real live online roulette, you might want some tips for getting the most out of your dollar. Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
5 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Online Roulette Games
- 1. Gambling systems: Roulette is a game based around randomly generated numbers. No system that you can learn is ever going to help you predict the outcome of a game 100%.
- 2. Even money bets: Sticking to bets with almost even odds is much more sensible than betting on long-shots. They might not pay out as much but you have a higher chance of winning.
- 3. Stay within your bankroll: Try to bet well within your means. If you blow through all of your money quickly, you will not have the time or resources to develop a sound strategy.
- 4. Cameras: Many live online roulette games are somewhat lacking in the sophistication of their camera setup. If you’re experiencing bad camera angles, or low-quality video feeds, you should either complain or move along to a different game.
- 5. Be friendly: Playing a live online game is a social experience so actually being social is part of the fun. If you can learn to get along well with your dealer, it can make your experience more pleasurable.
3 Strategies to Avoid
- 1. Betting the same every time: It might seem like a good strategy to keep betting the same every time. After all, you are bound to win eventually, right? Wrong. It is unlikely that you will win any money, unless you are able to adapt to the game, and change your betting strategy to suit your winnings and losses.
- 2. Thinking that playing alone is the same as playing live: If you have been playing a roulette video game in order to to practice, you shouldn’t necessarily assume that you are ready for the real thing. Gambling with real money in a live online environment is a very different experience to playing against a computer for pretend money.
- 3. Getting emotional: Gambling is a serious business to a lot of people. Any activity where money is at stake is ill-suited to emotionally-driven decisions. If you lose your cool, you are likely to lose your money. Composure is key.
There are many benefits to playing live online roulette. It offers a chance for people to play a realistic game, even if they live nowhere near a casino. It also gives people who are tired of regular online roulette a chance to “up the ante” and try their hand at a real, live game and the range of account funding options on offer these days means it’s simple to get your account set up.
People who are looking to enhance their online roulette experience and play a more professional, high-rolling game should choose live online roulette.
Roulette has long been a social game, with groups of gamblers gathering around that “little wheel” placing bets and soaking in the occasion. Technology has made it possible to bring that atmosphere, and sense of social interaction, into people’s homes.
If you are interested in seeing a real, live online roulette game being played – but don’t feel quite ready to join in yourself – the video below will give you a taste of what you can expect.
Play Live Online Roulette